Start / Menu > Find Press Releases > Full Press Release
CES, Las Vegas, NV—Jan 6, 2010
Technicolor Brings 3D to the Home and Beyond
Company Launches Innovations to Accelerate Proliferation of Quality 3D Experiences to Consumers
Technicolor (Euronext Paris: 18453; NYSE: TMS) today announced several innovations to support the consumer electronic industry’s migration to 3D, including new technologies for Blu-ray 3D, broadcast 3D, 3D subtitling, and auto-stereoscopic 3D delivery to mobile handsets.
“Theatrical 3D is the gateway to in-home 3D,” said Frederic Rose, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Technicolor. “The revival of 3D movies at the multiplex has overwhelmingly engaged and intrigued consumers who now want immersive entertainment experiences in the comfort of their homes. From theatrical to the living room and beyond, wherever advancement in the entertainment experience goes, Technicolor goes. ”
Technicolor will demonstrate the following at CES:
· Blu-ray 3D: Already a leader in the content preparation and replication of DVDs and Blu-ray discs, Technicolor has developed the first advanced compression and authoring solution to bring the recently released Blu-ray 3D specifications to production reality. Technicolor has expanded its capacity in anticipation of increased demand for Blu-ray 3D authoring.
· Broadcast 3D: Technicolor has built the first independent 3D broadcast facility located at its London broadcast location at Chiswick Park. The 3D channel is capable of transmitting both live and pre-recorded 3D content using a conventional HD channel. The solution is currently delivering content to a Technicolor HD set-top-box. The company is now ready to offer this service to its network service provider and broadcast clients.
· Automated 3D Subtitling Creation: Subtitles in 3D introduce unique challenges due to the number of various depths at which objects appear on the screen, thus creating limitations on where subtitles can be placed. Technicolor has developed a production tool that automatically recommends the best placement of subtitles to minimize disruption to the creative intent of the content.
· Auto-stereoscopic Content Delivery on Mobile: Technicolor will be showcasing its extensive authoring and compression expertise to deliver auto-stereoscopic (glasses-free) 3D experiences to mobile handsets.
· Theatrical Technicolor 3D Solution: In addition to the demonstrations listed above, Technicolor will be providing updates regarding deployment of its 3D on Film solution which was announced last year in September.
· Technicolor Alliance with Samsung and DreamWorks to Deliver 3D Blu-Ray to the Home: Technicolor also announced today an exclusive global alliance with Samsung Electronics America, Inc., and DreamWorks Animation SKG for the delivery of a complete 3D home entertainment solution to homes in 2010. The three companies have joined forces to accelerate the worldwide deployment of in-home 3D to mainstream consumers. The solution includes a broad line-up of 3D-capable HDTVs from Samsung, Samsung’s new 3D Blu-ray disc player, and an exclusive promotion that includes a feature-length, 3D Blu-ray version of DreamWorks Animation’s 2009 release, MONSTERS VS. ALIENS to be created and produced by Technicolor.
· Technicolor Connect: Demonstrating its continued leadership and vision of tomorrow’s networked residential ecosystem, Technicolor will also showcase its new line-up of advanced set-top-box and gateways at CES.
Technicolor, a worldwide technology leader in the media and entertainment sector, is at the forefront of digital innovation. Our world class research and innovation laboratories enable us to lead the market in delivering advanced video services to content creators and distributors. We also benefit from an extensive intellectual property portfolio focused on imaging and sound technologies, based on a thriving licensing business. Our commitment: Enhance media experience on any screen, in theaters, at home and on the go.
Technicolor Directory page
More Technicolor Press Releases:
Apr 23, 2015
Deluxe and Technicolor Launch Joint Venture in Digital Cinema
Sep 26, 2013
Technicolor Enters Digital Cinema Strategic Partnership with EFS Media Group
Apr 17, 2013
Technicolor and GDC Technology enter Digital Cinema Strategic Alliance
Nov 7, 2012
Dutch FilmWorks signs up to Technicolor’s MediAffinity
Nov 6, 2012
Technicolor Grows Nordic Distribution Network with New Partnership
Nov 2, 2012
Technicolor and Contenido Alternativo enter Digital Cinema Strategic Alliance
Aug 29, 2012
Technicolor Grows European Electronic Film Distribution Network
Jul 12, 2012
Avatar Colorist Skip Kimball Joins Technicolor
Apr 26, 2012
Technicolor Partners with Theatres at Mall of America® for Terrestrial Electronic Distribution for Feature & Trailer Content
Nov 10, 2011
Cinedigm Digital Cinema Corp. Closes Deal to Sell Digital Delivery Assets to Technicolor
Jul 27, 2011
Technicolor Launches Franchise Licensing Program with the Establishment of Technicolor PostWorks New York
Jul 27, 2011
Technicolor Expands its Post Production Capacities on West Coast with the Acquisition of LaserPacific
Jul 27, 2011
Technicolor Expands Footprint in Digital Cinema Distribution
Oct 12, 2010
Technicolor and Marcus Theatres® Pact to Deploy Technicolor 3D
Aug 11, 2010
Technicolor 3D Surpasses 250 Screens in North America
Mar 17, 2010
Technicolor 3D Launches in North America on More than 150 Screens
Mar 2, 2010
Technicolor and Bow Tie Cinemas Pact to Deploy Technicolor 3D
Oct 28, 2009
Industry Aligns to Fund Film 3D Rollout to Exhibitors
Oct 22, 2009
Strong Industry Support Accelerates Technicolor 3D Rollout
©Copyright 2014 Main Site . All rights reserved.