Constantin Film Holding GmbH
The film distributor Constantin Film Holding GmbH was founded in Austria in 1951. A second mainstay was created at the end of the 1960's in the segment of cine operations. In this segment, 25 traditional cinemas and cinema centres were operated until the beginning of the 1990's and, following a structural change, the Cineplexx Cine Operations GmbH, a subsidiary company of the Constantin Film Holding GmbH, was founded in 1993. The business developed during a time when many traditional cinemas in Austria were disappearing and multiplex movie theatres were conquering the market. Constantin Film reacted to this trend by establishing a group of 20 cinemas and 157 screens in Austria. Additionally, traditional movie theatres with up to 16 halls existed.
In 2009, the Cineplexx INTERNATIONAL GmbH started expanding to Austria's neighbouring countries and the first cinema outside Austria was opened in Bolzano, South Tyrol. Cineplexx also took over a cinema in Zagreb's city centre, thus laying the foundation for expansion into Croatia. Further Cineplexx cinemas followed in 2011 and 2012 in Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia. In 2013 Cineplexx established five multiplex movie theatres in Slovenia and the first seven-hall cinema in Albania. The last expansion took place in spring 2014 with the opening of a multiplex cinema in Usce, Serbia.
Today, Cineplexx has a strong market presence with 40 multiplex and six traditional locations in Austria, Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania and Italy, offering 291 halls. In 2014, the company's working force included 1,200 employees, the overall turnover amounted to 120 million euros and the number of Cineplexx visitors reached 10.5 million.