Start/Menu > Find Press Releases >
Refresh this page
San Francisco—Aug 22, 2011
Leading Museums and Science Centers Choose Dolby 3D for Immersing Entertainment Experience
Highly selective venues embrace Dolby 3D to enhance education and deliver dramatic realism to visitors
Building on the global success of its flexible, premium 3D technology, Dolby Laboratories, Inc., (NYSE: DLB) today announced a growing list of specialty exhibitors who have selected Dolby as their 3D partner. Famed institutions have chosen Dolby 3D to deliver an exciting and educational 3D digital cinema experience.
“Dolby has a rich history of ensuring the highest quality, most immersing experience creating sound and images exactly as the director intended with Dolby surround sound and Dolby 3D,” said Matt Cuson, Senior Director, Cinema, Dolby Laboratories. “These partnerships are indicative of our continued momentum with specialty exhibitors and underscore the value of Dolby’s leading 3D digital cinema technology.”Dolby’s premium 3D experience has been traveling with the impressive museum exhibit Tutankhamun: The Golden King and the Great Pharaohs. Dolby 3D was selected to present Giant Screen Films’ Egypt 3D: Secrets of the Mummies, a companion 3D movie experience to National Geographic’s touring ancient artifact exhibition. Giant Screen Films and D3D Cinema have equipped high profile locations with Dolby 3D including the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Atlanta Civic Center, the Dallas Museum of Art, the Denver Art Museum, Discovery Times Square exposition center, and Melbourne Museum in Victoria, Australia.
D3D Cinema has also recently partnered with the Dinosaurs Alive traveling exhibit, which is running Giant Screen Films’ Dinosaurs Alive! 3D in Dolby 3D. Currently, Dinosaurs Alive! 3D is playing at Kings Island Amusement Park in Mason, Ohio, and at the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley, California.“Giant Screen Films and D3D Cinema, as an integration partner for museums and institutional markets, continues to bring the latest in digital cinema technologies and 3D movies to specialty screens across the country with the help of Dolby,” said Don Kempf, President and Founder, Giant Screen Films and D3D Cinema. “Dolby 3D helps specialty venues looking to deliver the best playback experience for its patrons to present the highest quality digital and digital 3D movies.”Dolby’s list of specialty 3D digital cinema installations in collaboration with Giant Screen Films and D3D Cinema continues to grow:
· The San Diego Natural History Museum installed Dolby 3D in its 300-seat Charmaine and Maurice Kaplan Theater which is currently showing The Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D, Ocean Oasis, and Turtle Reef 3D.
· The Field Museum in Chicago, with a rich history more than 120 years in the making, recently added The Ernst & Young 3D Theater, a completely digital 3D theater using state-of-the-art Dolby 3D technology.
· Dolby 3D is a signature attraction at the The Connecticut Science Center’s Hoffman Foundation 3D Science Theater. The Science Center is currently playing Bugs! A Rainforest Adventure in 3D, Sea Rex 3D: Journey to a Prehistoric World, and Wild Ocean 3D.
· The New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science in Albuquerque, New Mexico, recently installed itsnew 270-seat, stadium-style, Dolby 3D equipped Lockheed Martin DynaTheater. The Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D andDinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia 3D are currently playing in Dolby 3D.
· The Franklin Theater at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has cinema-style seating, a new surround sound system, acoustical treatment, and a Dolby 3D system. Currently playing are The Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D and Dinosaurs Alive! 3D.
· The New York Hall of Science Museum in Queens, New York, built around one of the few remaining pavilions from the 1964 World’s Fair, will be installing Dolby 3D in its theater this August.
Additional museums and science centers feature Dolby 3D as well:
· Johnson Geo Centre in St. John’s, Canada, uses Dolby Digital Cinema and Dolby 3D technology in the Steele Earth & Space Theatre. Currently the Johnson Geo Centre is showcasing high definition 2D and 3D movies including Earth: The Power of the Planet and How to Build a Human in 2D as well as Dinosaurs Alive! 3D and Fly Me to the Moon in 3D.
· Natural Science Center of Greensboro, North Carolina, is currently using Dolby 3D in its brand new, state-of-the-art Omnisphere Total Immersion Theater of the Triad playing Waking the T. Rex: The Story of Sue 3D and The Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D as well as other 2D digital presentations.
· The California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco and the veteran media and technology consultants at Visual Acuity chose the Dolby 3D system for the new Hearst Forum’s 3D theater.
· The Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, New York, worked with Digital Media Systems to install Dolby 3D in the museum’s 267-seat theater.
For a list of other Dolby 3D locations, visit www.dolby.com/consumer/motion_picture/ddcinemas/index.html.
About Dolby 3D Digital Cinema
Dolby 3D delivers an efficient and flexible solution designed to provide audiences with a superior 3D experience. Dolby’s 3D solution uses a unique full-spectrum color-filter technology that provides realistic color reproduction and extremely sharp images. Additionally, Dolby 3D glasses are reusable, passive, and environmentally friendly and provide an ultra-premium 3D experience with enhanced performance and comfort.
About Dolby Laboratories, Inc.:
Dolby Laboratories (NYSE: DLB) is the global leader in technologies that are essential elements in the best entertainment experiences. Founded in 1965 and best known for high-quality audio and surround sound, Dolby creates innovations that enrich entertainment at the movies, at home, or on the go.
Dolby Laboratories, Inc. Directory page
Dolby Laboratories, Inc. Web Site
More Dolby SF Press Releases:
Feb 9, 2017
Dolby Cinema Showcases Strong Spring Lineup
Jan 18, 2017
Dolby Atmos Transforms the 2017 Sundance Film Festival
Jan 10, 2017
Dolby Cinema at AMC Opens Its 50th Location
Jan 6, 2017
Dolby Laboratories Enables the Future of Entertainment
Dec 23, 2016
Wanda Opens Its 10th Dolby Cinema at Beijing Fengtai
Dec 19, 2016
Dolby Cinema Offers Strong Slate of Titles into 2017
Dec 7, 2016
Dolby Atmos: Breaking the Sound Barrier
Dec 6, 2016
MBO Cinemas Commits to 100 Units of Dolby ShowVault/Integrated Media Blocks in Malaysia
Dec 5, 2016
Dolby Cinema Travels to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
Nov 1, 2016
GDC and Dolby Resolve Litigation
Oct 31, 2016
I Am Not Madame Bovary to Arrive in Dolby Cinema with Dolby Vision Imaging and Dolby Atmos Sound
Sep 29, 2016
This Fall’s Hottest Tickets Arrive in Dolby Cinema
Sep 26, 2016
L.O.R.D (Legend of Ravaging Dynasties) to be Released in Dolby Vision Imaging and Dolby Atmos Sound for Dolby Cinema
Aug 17, 2016
Wanda Cinema Line Selects Dolby Digital Cinema Servers for Cinemas in China
Aug 8, 2016
AMC Theatres and Dolby to Accelerate Deployment to 100 Dolby Cinema at AMC Sites By End of 2017
Jul 25, 2016
Disney’s Pete’s Dragon and Marvel’s Doctor Strange Among Seven New Disney Releases Announced for Dolby Cinema
Jul 8, 2016
For a Few Bullets Becomes First Chinese Local-Language Title for Dolby Cinema
Jun 29, 2016
Cineplexx Raises the Stakes By Bringing Dolby Cinema to Cineplexx Salzburg Airport
Jun 27, 2016
Dolby Laboratories and Amazon Announce Availability of Dolby Vision High Dynamic Range on Amazon Video
Jun 23, 2016
Dolby Cinema Now Available in Asia Through Wanda Cinema Line
©Copyright 2003 - 2017
. All rights reserved.