Amsterdam —Jun 28, 2006
Kinoton D-Cinema Projectors Built on DLP Cinema® Components from Barco Now Certified
The new DCP 2K Digital Cinema Projector line of the renowned cinema technology supplier Kinoton, based on Barco's OEM core components, has successfully passed the Texas Instruments (TI) certification procedure, proving to meet highest demands on picture reproduction quality.
The DCP Digital Cinema Projectors were jointly certified by TI and Barco at Kinoton premises. The intention of the examination was to ensure that the D-Cinema projectors. inner workings and the DLP Cinema® technology provided through Barco go well together to guarantee optimum picture steadiness, contrast and illumination.
The modular design of the DCP projectors includes two different illumination systems, the .L. version and the .S. version, featuring different mirrors and components. Both versions can be integrated in the compact DCP 70 D-Cinema projector as well as in the DCP 30 two-part D-Cinema projector. The examining team from TI and Barco first carefully studied these two illumination systems thoroughly, satisfying themselves that the systems provide a stable and flicker-free illumination. Then they set off a comprehensive test series to control any important projection parameter on both DCP models, each one quipped with the two different illumination systems:
- A colour accuracy and uniformity check confirmed that the RGB primary colours and their combination colours are reproduced correctly and evenly over the whole screen.
- An illumination uniformity test showed the whole screen was illuminated evenly.
- The contrast ratio between white and black was thoroughly inspected.
- Image distortion tests proved the pictures are projected with highest accuracy and without deformation.
- A MTF (modulation transfer function) test gave information about the constancy of the image definition over the whole screen.
- Finally the DCP projectors. reproduction was examined for pixel errors.
The two different illumination systems passed all these accurate tests at first go with the DCP 70 as well as with the DCP 30 Digital Cinema Projector, thus satisfying all parties concerned and earning full certification by Texas Instruments.